Thursday, March 31, 2016

#242 Tom Poholsky



#242 Tom Poholsky
Progress: 1st of this card
169 of 407  41.5% complete
How acquired: $6.50 on ebay
Condition: Excellent

The edges of this card almost look too sharp to me.  I suspect it may have been trimmed.  But the seller on ebay had other cards that were clearly marked "trimmed," so it's not like the seller was engaged some widespread con game if this Poholsky is trimmed.

"Trimming" is one of those areas that I'm not sure how strongly I feel about it.  I'm not talking about when it's done in an effort to deceive and rip someone off.  That's obvioulsy way out of bounds and probably criminal.  I'm just talking about for my own purposes.  I don't mind cards with pen marks, ripped corners, huge creases, etc, but I'm on the fence about trimmed cards.  Maybe it's just the stigma, of the card doctor element to it, but it kind of bothers me.  If this Poholsky had a tear running down the entire left side, I'd have no problem sliding it into the 8-pocket page in my '52 binder and checking it off my list.  But even the suspicion of trimming leaves me somewhat uneasy.  I can't tell for sure though, so in the binder it sits, until another (likely in worse condition) presents itself.

Stats: 6 seasons, 31 wins, 52 loses,  3.93 ERA

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment