Monday, December 7, 2015

#13 Johnny Wyrostek



#13 Johnny Wyrostek
Progress: 1st of this card
152 of 407  37.3% complete
How acquired: $4.26 on ebay
Condition: Good

This card arrived much more beat up than it looked on ebay.  On top of the coloring and stain issues, I'm pretty sure this card has been soaked.  I had never heard of soaking two months ago, but after reading about it recently, I went ahead and tried it myself with a well worn '52 Johnny Hopp I had four copies of.  The card actually did come out better looking than it went in, but I won't be doing it again.  It's full on card doctoring.  I was on the fence after reading about it, but after trying it myself, there's no doubt in my mind it's doctoring.  I'm not judging collector's that disagree, I'm just saying it isn't for me.  

I thought the Hopp felt sturdier after the soaking but couldn't be sure.  However this Wyrostek has a very similar feel.  Someone who knows more about science and/or stationary will have to fill me in one day.

Stats: 11 seasons, 2x All-Star, 1,149 hits, .271 career avg.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment