Friday, February 28, 2014

#92 Dale Mitchell





#92 Dale Mitchell
Progress: 1st of this card
117 of 407 28.7% complete
How acquired: $4.00 on ebay
Condition: Fair



I'm sure a lot of other collector's think I'm nuts, but I love this card.  I'd go so far as to put it in my top five favorite 52's of the ones I've acquired so far.  The horizontal cards in this set had the nice effect of more or less centering the logo.  Chief Wahoo really pops off the card as a result.  I feel like that effect is only accentuated by the paper loss to the players name and face.  At the end of the day, I don't really care much about Dale Mitchell (no disrespect to the former All-Star, who by all accounts was a great player).  I like this card for just about every other reason you can think of besides the player on the front.  The way the defects in this card serve to make the player somewhat anonymous is sort of cool, and bring out all the other nice aspects of the card.

Mitchell is still 7th all-time with a 34-1 strikeout ratio.  He was the final out of Don Larsen's perfect game in the world series, and maintained to his deathbed that the called 3rd strike was in fact a ball.

Stats: 11 seasons, 2x All-Star, 1,244 hits, 1949 AL Leader with 23 triples

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment