Thursday, December 5, 2013

#213 Nippy Jones



#213 Nippy Jones
Progress: 1st of this card
107 of 407 26.2% complete
How acquired: $2.75 on ebay
Condition: Good

You may (or may not) have noticed that there wasn't much activity on this blog in Nov. 2013, zero post to be exact.  It was tough sledding on ebay.  Cards were popping up, but were selling way beyond what I'm willing (or able) to pay.  And it lasted a lot more than a month.  Because while I was able to post during October, I was staggering them as such that the cards were actually ones acquired much earlier.  I went through a period of nearly two and half months where I only picked up one card.  It was starting to get a little bit depressing.  Bad thoughts going through my head.  Maybe the market has turned, maybe the days of cards under $3 are over.  Maybe I'll have to give up and and take that Indiana Jones logo out behind the shed and put it down.

Alas, for reasons I can't explain, I finally won a string of 9 auctions from the same seller.  He had what appeared to be about half of the set, including high numbers, up for sale with combined shipping.  I bid on about 40 cards and hoped I wouldn't win them all (too expensive) and came through with a decent number, including this Nippy Jones.  

Stats: 8 seasons, 369 hits, 2 World Series Rings ('46 and '57), 0 for 3 in 4 World Series games.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

2 comments:

  1. Sellers are always looking for a reason to begin an upward trend in pricing. Stick to your guns. I top out at $3 for '50 Bowman and '51 Topps myself. When the deals aren't there, I just collect in other areas of my interest. The '52T set is definitely tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though Nippy went 0-3 in the World Series, it was his "shoe polish play" specifically Hit by a Pitch in the 57 that started a Braves Rally to beat the Yankees.

    ReplyDelete