Tuesday, January 23, 2018

#214 Johnny Hopp


#214 Johnny Hopp
Progress: none, 5th of this card
How acquired: $4.84 on eBay
Condition: Very Good

This is my 5th copy of Johnny Hopp.  That's the high water mark for any card amongst my collection of 52's.  This one, by any objective measure, is in the best shape of any of the five, though for some reason I kind of like the coloring of the card stock on the back of a more worn copy.  My first two were in horrible shape, my third is in ok condition, and the 4th copy is almost as nice as this one.  Do I need five copies of this card?  Of course not, but that doesn't mean I won't take them when the world wants to offer them up for under $5.00.  Hopp was a Yankee and an All-Star.  It's impossible not to bid on them when a seller has other cards I actually need that I'm already bidding on.

I can't go into details, and they're boring anyway, but last year I crossed paths with Johnny Hopp's grandson and great grandson in Farmington, New Mexico of all places.  The great grandson shared the same name, and I said off the cuff "You know there was a Yankee in the 50's with that same name."  Long story short, they already knew.


No comments:

Post a Comment