Tuesday, July 4, 2017

#191 Yogi Berra



#191 Yogi Berra
Progress: 1st of this card
265 of 407  65.1% complete
How acquired: $68.50 on eBay
Condition: Fair

This card doesn't need much of an introduction.  It's one of those cards that makes my hands sweat a little bit when I'm holding it.  While I recgonize that my copy is in far from perfect shape, it's a completely perfect copy for my collection.  I find it's hard to predict how a card is going to make me feel once I have it in hand.  Often, it can be anti-climatic.  On other occassions, I'm surprised by the reaction it elicits.  This wasn't really a card that I've been coveting.  And much like the Rizzuto in this set, this Berra is readily available (kids weren't throwing Yogi out).  I wasn't worried about finding one.  When I pulled the trigger on this listing (and used "Ebay Bucks" for the first time ever, which were helpful), it felt more like a relief, than a moment of excitment.  "Finally, I can cross Yogi off the list and don't have to worry about him anymore."

That all changed when I finally had it in hand.  This isn't just a card to cross off the "need list."  This card has a weight to it.  It's added an element and demension to my collection, that I didn't know I was missing.  This is the second most I've ever spent on a baseball card in my lifetime, but it still feels like a bargain.  Too often I don't feel that way when a high priced card arrives.  Yogi exceeded all expectations.

Stats: 19 seasons, 15x All-Star, 2,150 hits, 358 HR, 1,430 RBI, .285 avg., 3x AL MVP ('51, '54, '55), 10x World Series Champion, 71 hits in WS, 12 HR in WS, 14x AL Pennant Winner

Inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1972 with 85.6% on the vote on the 2nd ballot (It's kind of appalling that he wasn't a first ballot guy)



1 comment:

  1. Definitely a milestone 'get'. Congrats! Love the card.

    ReplyDelete