Wednesday, June 28, 2017

#227 Joe Garagiola


#227 Joe Garagiola
Progress: 1st of this card
262 of 407  64.3% complete
How acquired: $7.50 on eBay
Condition: Fair
This card looks about what I would have previously expected a Joe Garagiola card to look like.  Garagiola is obviously a name I was very familiar with.  I'm not sure if his name still rings out with younger fans, but when I was a kid, he seemed to be everywhere.  I was always more of Bob Uecker guy, but they seemed to be cut from the same cloth.

And while Joe looks like I would have expected him to on this card, it occurred to me that I didn't really know anything about him as a player.  I can't say I even knew for a certainty that he had been a player.  And I certainly didn't know him as a Pirate.  For reasons I can't explain, I associated him as a Yankee and Cardinal.  The Cardinal association checks out, but I don't know where I pulled the Yankee association came from (probably was confusing him with Yogi Berra when I was really young).  In any event, Garagiola's wiki page is an interesting read.  The guy kept busy.  And while I found some of the details of his off-field exploits a bit off-putting, I'm still somewhat pleased to now have a Garagiola card in my collection.

Stats: 9 seasons, 481 hits, 42 HR, 255 RBI, .257 avg., World Series Ring with Cardinals in 1946

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

1 comment:

  1. Joe grew up with Yogi in St. Louis and was his best bud..that's how you made the connection.

    ReplyDelete