Saturday, May 27, 2017

#259 Bob Addis


#259 Bob Addis
Progress: 1st of this card
245 of 407  60.2% complete
How acquired: $4.00 on eBay
Condition: Good
The paper loss on the face of Addis is the obvious issue with this card.  There's some more on the edges, but it's more or less disguised by the white borders.  Thankfully, the scuff on the face is off to the side and not too obtrusive.  Addis only had more than 30 at-bats in a season twice, but was rewarded with two different Topps cards (also had one in '53), so that's not too shabby for the former Marine.  If my grandfather had appeared in parts of four MLB seasons but had never shown up on a Topps card, I think it would have felt like the proverbial tree in falling in the forest.  These cards are what legitimized players for me as a kid, and in some respects still do as a guy pushing forty.  

Stats: 4 seasons, 208 games, 150 hits, 2 home runs, .281 avg.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

1 comment:

  1. With the cap logo and the team logo, I couldn't figure out if he was on the Reds, Indians or Cubs until I looked at the back scan. I SO CONFUSED!

    ReplyDelete