Thursday, February 16, 2017

#273 Erv Palica


#273 Erv Palica
Progress: 1st of this card
208 of 407  51.1% complete
How acquired: $8.49 on ebay
Condition: Very Good
I'm not going to deny it, I like the Brooklyn Dodger and New York Yankee cards more than the other cards in this set, at least in a general sense.  I'm not the only one.  The fact that a lot of the big guns from those teams are unattainable hi-numbers for most (PeeWee Reese, Campanella, Robinson, Bill Dickey, Mantle) or more than I want to pay for Hall of Famers (Yogi, Billy Martin, Rizzuto), makes the "commons" that much more desirable.  I think it's a common thought process, which leads to dropping nearly $10 on the likes of Palica.  But unlike a few other cards I've blown past the $5 mark on, there was no sense of disappointment or regret when this Palica arrived in the mail.  It's a really cool card in hand.  If you're a younger collector who found this blog by accident (or even an older one) and has never bought a card from the 50's or earlier, against my own self interest, I encourage you to pass on the next $10 Topps Now offering commemorating some #3 starter's 12 strike-outs on a Tuesday for a third place team, and instead drop it on a '52 of a random guy from your favorite team.  If you don't like it, it'll be easy enough to get rid of, but it's worth a try.

Stats: 9 seasons, 41 wins, 55 losses, 4.22 ERA, 20 CG, youngest player in baseball in 1945 (17 years old) when he appeared in two games as a pinch-runner.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A


1 comment: