Friday, November 11, 2016

#2 James "Pete" Runnels


#2 James "Pete" Runnels
Progress: 1st of this card
198 of 407  48.6% complete
How acquired: $7.50 on ebay
Condition: Very Good
I've been on a bit of a spending spree, but still feel like I'm getting some pretty nice deals for a change.  Card #1 in this set is Andy Pafko (it's the card Indiana Jones is going for in the banner above), and given the price Pafko demands (4 figures in prices guides!!!) relative to Pafko's career, it's obvious I'm not the only collector who covets card #1 in Topps first set.  At some point I will get my hands on a Pafko, but for awhile now, I've targeted card #2, this Runnels.  It's just one number off after all.  Apparently, I'm not the only collector who figures #2 is almost as cool as #1, because this Runnels also routinely out punts his price coverage on ebay, going well above the $20 mark on a regular basis.  So when this one popped up with a "Buy it Now" price under ten, I went for it.  Occasionally, I'll see a well worn copy of this card go for less, but not often, and I always come up short on the bidding, so who knows what the actual ceiling would have been.  As it is, it's another first series need to cross off my need list, and a nice looking card of a former All-Star.  The downside is, my itch to drop way too much on a Pafko just became a lot worse.

Stats: 14 seasons, 3x All-Star, 1,845 hits, 2x AL Batting Champ (.320 '60, .326 '62), 49 home runs, .291 avg.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

1 comment: