Monday, March 7, 2016

#164 Walt Dubiel



#164 Walt Dubiel
Progress: 1st of this card
163 of 407  40% Complete!!!
How acquired:  $2.99 one ebay
Condition: Fair

With the addition of Mr. Dubiel, I've reached the 40% complete milestone.  When I started going after 52's eight years ago, I didn't seriously think I'd ever be able to put any sort of dent in the set.  The amount of money I've spent to get this far is not insignificant, but I'm sure if I tracked my pack/blaster/box spending over that same period, it would be even more disconcerting (thankfully, for my own mental health, I haven't tracked that). My purchasing of new packs has significantly dwindled each of the last few years due in no small part to this project.  On many occasions I've found myself setting down packs of Heritage or Archives in Target, thinking, "I'll just get on ebay when I get home and see how far $8 will take me.

This Dubiel has the look of a signifigant card.  I don't why, but some of these 52's just look like they're important, even though more often than not, they're just another Bobby Hogue or Walt Dubiel.  I'm guessing (couldn't confirm anywhere), that Walt's career was hurt by over use early on.  As a rookie with the Yankees in 1944 he went 13-13, throwing 19 complete games.  He never came close to matching those numbers again.

Stats: 7 seasons, 45 wins, 3.87 ERA 

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding accomplishment on such a tough set.

    ReplyDelete