Friday, December 11, 2015

#18 Merril Combs



#18 Merril Combs
Progress: 1st of this card
153 of 407  37.6% complete
How acquired: $4.26 on ebay
Condition: Very Good

I really like this card.  Perhaps I shouldn't be mentioning this, but I very much like the Chief Wahoo logo on the front of the card, and the crown on his head, though I'm not sure why he's still wearing it four years after the Indians won the '48 Series.  I would have liked to seen Topps make designating cards of the defending World Series champs in some way, an annual thing.  I'm one of those people that takes pride in their ability to rattle off World Series participants going four or five decades back, and any visual clues I could use to recall who won in a given year would have been greatly appreciated.  But alas, they didn't even make team logos and annual thing.

Stats: 5 seasons, 73 hits, 2 home runs, .202 career avg.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment