Tuesday, June 18, 2013

#106 Mickey Vernon



#106 Mickey Vernon
Progress: 1st of this card
86 of 407  21.1% complete
How acquired: $2.62 on ebay
Condition: Fair

This candy apple colored card has some water damage and is very off-centered.  It also has a decent little crease running just above the name on the front.

I wasn't very familiar with Mickey Vernon, the name sounded familiar, but I was surprised to see he was a 7x All-Star.  On top of that, had he not lost 2 years to Military Service I'm convinced he'd had given 3,000 hits a serious enough run to be in the Hall of Fame.  So given that, I'm more than happy with this card in this shape at the price I picked it up for.

Stats: 20 seasons, 7x All-Star, '46 & '53 AL Batting Champion, 2,495 hits, 3x AL Doubles Champion, currently Top 100 All-Time in hits, doubles, triples, and RBI.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: 24.9% 1980

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way with Vernon. I knew my Dad liked him. He saw Vernon play while he was at GW in Washington. But it wasn't until I did my write-up for my '59 card that I really saw his numbers.

    That's a great card BTW. Nice portrait and I much prefer the white 'W' the Nats had on the caps rather than the red one later on.

    ReplyDelete