Saturday, December 9, 2017

#260 Pete Castiglione

 #260 Pete Castiglione
Progress: 1st of this card
291 of 407 71.5% complete
How acquired: $8.24 on eBay
Condition: Very Good 

As I've narrowed in on the final cards from #1-310, I've grown less patient in my purchasing habits.  While I don't like paying so much for these cards, it's not without it's benefits.  For one, they tend to be better condition.  Not always, but for the most part, they're similar to this Castiglione, which is really in very nice shape.  Also, when I'm focused on one particular card, it's easier to have an idea as to what I should be paying.  For years my method was to search "1952 Topps" on eBay, and sort by ending soonest.  Then I'd just go after what ever was cheapest and ending soon.  When you're down to a dozen or so needs, that just isn't a practical way of doing it.  So while the Buy it Now from dealers tends to cost me more, I also have some sense of what's fair.

Pete Castiglione isn't a guy I ever thought I'd pay $8+ for a card of, but it's nice to be able to slide another card into it's appropriate slot in my binder, and one that is nice to look at as well.  As it stands there are three empty spots in the binder, or five if you count the last two on the final page, which happen to be #311 Mickey Mantle, and #312 Jackie Robinson (I anticipate those spots will stay empty for awhile).  The other three are the first one, the Pafko I still need, and two spots for cards I have but haven't cracked their PSA cases yet. 

Stats: 8 seasons, 426 hits, 24 home runs, .255 avg.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment