Thursday, November 30, 2017

#241 Tommy Byrne


#241 Tommy Byrne
Progress: 1st of this card 
287 of 407  70.5% complete
How acquired: $5.95 on eBay
Condition: Good

I'm a sucker for the white Browns hats with the brown brim.  As such, I was tempted to call this card "very good," but I know my judgment is being swayed by the hat.  The surface wear is just too much, though the card is in other wise pretty good shape.  Sturdy and no major creases.  

Byrne started and ended his career with the New York Yankees, spending 11 of 13 seasons in pinstripes, and sandwiched some time with the Browns, Senators, and White Sox in between.  He played in four World Series with the Yankees, winning two rings.  A solid hitter hit .300 in World Series play, and regular season as well, picking up 14 home runs in 13 seasons.

Was Mayor of Wake Forest, NC from 1973-1987

Stats: 13 seasons, All-Star, 85 wins, 69 losses, 4.11 ERA, Led in AL in walks in '49, '50, and '51.  Led AL in HBP in 5x from 1948-52.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

3 comments:

  1. Those Browns hats are cool. I have a 52 Bowman Byrne in my collection..never knew he was a mayor. Take that, Sean Casey! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Tommy seems to have found his control" Topps? Where? 150 walks in 144 innings with just 71 strikeouts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've commented on this previously here...I'd be willing to pay a huge premium for that cap in my size (8) which is probably not gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete