Tuesday, October 27, 2015

#57 Ed Lopat



#57 Ed Lopat
Progress: 1st of this card  
145 of 407  35.6% complete
How acquired: $5.20 on eBay
Condition: Very Good

This card came as part of a six card lot of Yankees on eBay.  I've been targeting the '52 Ed Lopat for some time now, as he's one of the more under valued Yankee stars of the 50's, at least as far as I'm concerned.  However, others must agree as even his low grade cards regularly cross the $10 threshold I've been trying to keep it under.  So finding this in a lot with another Yankee need was a welcomed event, as the doubles also will serve as nice upgrades to my existing copies.  For a guy that was a top of the rotation type starter for five straight World Series Champions, I believe Ed Lopat to be extremely under appreciated.

Stats: 12 seasons, All-Star, 166 wins, 164 complete games, 1953 AL ERA Leader, 5x World Champion, 4-1 in World Series with 2.40 ERA and 3 complete games.  5 career HR's as a batter.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: 1.1% 1971

1 comment:

  1. That's one fine card. He was a favorite of my Dad, up there with Allie Reynolds. Heck, he even looks sort of like my Dad.

    ReplyDelete