Friday, February 23, 2018

#81 Vernon Law



















#81 Vernon Law
Progress: none, 2nd of this card
How acquired: $1.84 on eBay
Condition: Very Good

"Very Good" is a generous assessment for this card given the missing corner by the #81.  But all my grades have been pretty generous.  Just consider it grading on a curve.  My first copy of this card was one of the first ones in this set I ever picked up.  Someone applied a sloppy splash of red lipstick to Vern on that card, which makes this copy a big upgrade.

Vernon was not slouch of a player, racking up 162 wins and the 1960 Cy Young Award over 16 MLB seasons.

3 comments:

  1. I met him in 2010 in Arizona, real nice guy. The card says he's 6' 2" but he seemed taller than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite ‘52 cards. The first trade I ever made with another blogger brought me one of those Heritage signed versions of this one. Neat card but I like the original a lot more.

    ReplyDelete