Saturday, February 3, 2018

#306 Lou Sleater


#306 Lou Sleater
Progress: 1st of this card
305 of 407  74.9% complete
How acquired: $4.99 on eBay
Condition: Good

Picking up this Lou Slater for under $5.00 felt like a bit of a minor miracle.  And it's not even in all that terrible of shape.  It's one of my least favorite cards in the set so far, and I can't say I've ever been much of a Lou Sleater fan (nothing against him, I've just never heard of him).  So the prospect of having to pay $20 plus for the "#300 tax" wasn't sitting well with me.  Ultimately, I think I've just grown very impatient as I've zeroed in on the final few cards, because with a little self-control on the "Buy it Now" eBay button, I ultimately ended up with this copy at a less than painful price.

The artist did Mr. Sleater no favors with this card.  His chin could have easily been made to look a little more pronounced and he almost looks like Jim Abbot on his throwing hand the way it's drawn into the glove.  And speaking of the glove, come on, either this was a B-Team artist, or one of the last ones the artist did and was ready to go home.  For a guy known as a knuckle baller, the throwing hand deserved a better effort.

Stats: 7 seasons, 12 wins, 18 losses, 4.70 ERA, 300.2 IP

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment