Thursday, April 13, 2017

#162 Del Crandall


#162 Del Crandall
Progress: 1st of this card
221 of 407  54.3% complete
How acquired: $5.58 on eBay
Condition: Fair
I am a fan of the cards in this set with solid red back grounds.  That's not to say I wish they all had them (I don't), but I like the ones that do, Eddie Yost immediately comes to mind.  This one has some significant issues on the front, but Crandall is a pretty popular card, so I can live with it at this price.

Crandall presents a great example of something I don't agree with.  He's credited with being an 11x All-Star on both his wikipedia page, and baseball-reference page.  But he "only" made the All-Star team in eight different seasons.  There was a period in the late 50's and early 60's where MLB played more than one game in multiple locations (increase exposure/gate revenue).  Really a pretty good idea for the time.  However, players shouldn't get credit for multiple All-Star team appearances for the same season.  So I'm calling Crandall an eight time All-Star.  

Stats: 16 seasons, 8x All-Star, 4x Gold Glove, 1,276 hits, 179 Home Runs, .254 avg., World Series Ring with '57 Milwaukee Braves

Best Hall of Fame Showing: 3.9% 1976

1 comment:

  1. this is one of the very few that I have in my collection. I always thought that he was doing a 'blushing bride' pose. "Look away and look shy."

    A couple of things...I agree completely with you thoughts on All Star credits. It's times elected not games played in. When I post a card it's usually 'he's an eight time All Star' or 'he made eight All Star teams'.

    I had understood that the second ASG in those four years was played to raise money for the players' pension fund. But that may just be in my imagination.

    ReplyDelete