Saturday, March 4, 2017

#17 Jim Hegan


 #17 Jim Hegan
Progress: 1st of this card
214 of 407  52.6% complete
How acquired: $7.58 on ebay
Condition: Fair
Since the first time I saw this card, I've felt like Jim Hegan looks like the young version of Kevin Costner's dad at the end of Field of Dreams.  Chronologically this card has the distinction of being the first Topps card to ever show a catcher in his gear.  It's the "Pafko" of catcher cards.  I'm not sure if that's a thing, but it should be.  Any list of the best Topps cards ever, is going to be heavy on catcher cards.  I imagine there have to be people out there who collect catcher cards the way others collect teams or players.  Which could explain why this card seems to always top the $10 mark when it shows up on ebay.  Hegan was a great player, but the sales of this card still out pace guys with similar careers in this set.  My copy has obvious issues on the back, and I still feel pretty good about getting it at this price.

Stats: 17 seasons, 5x All-Star, 1,087 hits, 92 home runs, .228 avg., World Series Ring in '48

Best Hall of Fame Showing: 1.7% in 1966

2 comments:

  1. Really nice shot on this card. I have cards that have the exact same back issues. I guess 'five drops of glue and stick 'em in a scrapbook' was big back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked through hundreds of 52T this weekend and all I could think was that I wondered if you had them.

    ReplyDelete