Tuesday, January 17, 2017

#5 Larry Jansen




















#5 Larry Jansen
Progress: 1st of this card
200 of 407 49.1% complete
How acquired: $3.45 on ebay
Condition: Fair
This card has taken a beating over the last 65 years or so, but still remains intact in one piece.  Even in this shape, $3.45 feels like a steal for this card.  I have no idea what Jansen is doing with his fingers on this card, but it looks cool.  Jansen had relatively short career, albeit, a very good one.  But not good enough to justify the premiums this card usually demands.  I'm guessing the price has more to do with the picture, which I'm sure other find just as interesting as I do.

Stats: 9 seasons, 2x All-Star, 122 wins, 3.58 ERA, '51 NL wins leader (23), '50 NL SHO leader (5)

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

3 comments:

  1. Legend is that Jansen is referencing his (at the time) seven children. Not sure if that's true but that's what I read and it makes sense. I think he ended up with several more before running out of energy of finding a different hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds as good as any other thing it could be. I didn't look past his stats and couldn't find any "7" "25" or "2-5" combo that made sense. I thought it might be some odd stat like 7 straight strikeouts or twentyfive scoreless innings, that wouldn't show up on baseball-reference.

    ReplyDelete