Friday, July 8, 2016

#204 Ron Northey


#204 Ron Northey
Progress: 1st of this card
182 of 407 44.7% complete
How acquired: $4.00 on ebay
Condition: Fair
Until recently I had avoided "Buy it Now" listings of 52's on ebay.  I was even going so far as to filter them out of my search results.  But in an effort to narrow my focus, I recently went through the rather tedious exercise of individually searching every remaining non-high number on my need list and making a note of the average prices they were available for.  While clearly not the most scientific way of doing it, the end result was a rough outline of all my needs and their ballpark prices.

In the process, something unexpected happened.  I found a large number of my "needs" at relatively reasonable prices.  I've given up on the days of finding these guys for under $2.00.  That window of oppurtunity closed a couple of years ago, and prices have been on the rise at a pretty steady rate.  So when I found a seller with a number of listings in the $4 to $7 range and free shipping, the end result was a purchase of 17 new cards and one of my larger ebay purchases ever.  This Northey is one of those cards.

Stats:  12 seasons, 874 hits, 108 home runs, .276 avg.

Best Hall of Fame Showing: 0.5% 1964

No comments:

Post a Comment