Friday, November 7, 2014

#27 Sam Jethroe



#27 Sam Jethroe
Progress: 1st of this card
130 of 407  31.9% complete
How acquired: $2.12 on ebay
Condition: Poor

No matter how cool I find this card to be, there's no calling it anything other than "poor," when discussing it's condition.  I still love it none the less.  I really like the green background, and maybe I'm being insensitive, but I think the Braves logo on the corner of the name box is beautiful.  This card just looks "important" to me.

"The Jet" was National League Rookie of the Year in 1950 when he hit 18 home runs and led the league with 35 stolen bases.   The following year he would bat .280 and again lead the NL in stolen bases.  Despite hitting 13 homers, collecting 141 hits, and finishing second in stolen bases in '52, he was dropped by the Braves.  Jethroe played two games with the Pirates in '54 and was out of baseball.  It's not hard to imagine why he may have been given such a short leash.

Stats: 4 seasons (really 3), 460 hits, 98 stolen bases, .261 avg, 49 home runs

Best Hall of Fame showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment