Tuesday, November 14, 2017

#203 Curt Simmons


#203 Curt Simmons
Progress: 1st of this card
284 of 407  69.7% complete
How acquired: $7.89 on eBay
Condition: Very Good

The first time I saw, or noticed, this card on eBay was likely a solid five or six years ago.  Somewhat early in this process.  Without looking too closely, I assumed the "Bay Optics" billboard was an erased section of card that had pencil marks added to it.  For the next few years I'd often find myself saying, "Wow, there are a lot of marked up Curt Simmons cards floating around."  I should pay more attention to details.

As it stands, Simmons ended up being one of the last cards I picked up of these first 310 in the set.  A long-time Phillies starter, and a very good one at that, Simmons joined with Robin Roberts in the duo dubbed "The Whiz Kids" while anchoring the staff that won the 1950 National League Pennant.  He missed the end of the season, and World Series, due to being called into service for the Korean War.  I just can't fathom that.

 This card demands a slight premium compared to other cards in his series.  Sometimes those cards are mysteries to me, but I can see why this card would be a popular one among Phillies fans.

Per his wikipedia page, Hank Aaron and Stan Musial both describe Simmons as the toughest pitcher they ever faced.

Stats: 20 seasons, 3x All-Star, 193 wins, 3.54 ERA, 1,697 K's, 1964 World Series Ring with St. Louis

Best Hall of Fame Showing: 1.3% in 1973


No comments:

Post a Comment