Thursday, May 18, 2017

#247 Randy Gumpert


#247 Randall Gumpert
Progress: 1st of this card
239 of 407  58.7% complete
How acquired: $4.25 on eBay
Condition: Fair
The major "flaw" with this card is the pencil addition of "Senators" on the back.  I didn't even notice it at first glance.

Gumpert, despite having a respectable ten year MLB career that saw him make an All-Star team, will forever be a historical footnote and trivial musing.  Gumpert owns the distinction of being the pitcher that gave up Mickey Mantle's first career home run in 1951.  I know that no pitcher freakishly good enough to reach the majors wants to be remembered for giving up a home run, but part of me also believes in their honest moments they can admit to not minding being linked to a part of baseball history.  Al Downing for instance, I know he was a very good pitcher, won 20 games in a season and made at least one All-Star team.  I probably wouldn't know that if he had given up 716 instead of 715.  And it's not like these home runs are linked to outcomes.  Did the Yankees win the game that Mantle hit is first home run?  I don't know.  I certainly know that Mitch Williams didn't win the game that Joe Carter hit his famous home run in, but that's iconic due to the result, not some random product of math.  My point being, if I was a pitcher in the same era as the likes of Mantle and Aaron, chances are they were going to get a hold of something I threw, so it may as well be one that gets my name in the annuals of baseball history too. 

Stats: 10 seasons, All-Star, 51 wins, 59 losses, 4.17 ERA

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment