Sunday, April 16, 2017

#187 Bob Miller


#187 Bob Miller
Progress: 1st of this card
224 of 407   55% complete
How acquired: $5.50 on ebay
Condition: Good

This card is in pretty good shape, and does nothing to hurt my opinion that the Phillies have some of the better looking cards in this set.  After going 11-6 in 1950 and finishing 2nd in ROY voting, Miller only threw 34 innings in '51 and would only throw 9 in '52.  I'm guessing he had some sort of arm injury.  Likely in the World Series, where he started a game but only threw 1/3 of an inning and faced 4 batters (someone should look into this).  He would come back in '53 and put together a solid career, but never matched his rookie numbers, let alone reach the potential that he showed.

With each new '52 that I pick up, my need list shrinks by one.  That's great (and obvious).  I no longer simply search "1952 Topps" on eBay.  I go card by card on my need list, and add what's available in my target price range to my watch list.  I used to just sort by "ending soonest" and pull the trigger on what ever was ending.  The carpet bombing approach is no longer an affective means to find what I need.  Going card by card takes a lot longer, but I don't do it nearly as often, instead I just refer to my watch list throughout the week.  In addition to the way I search for cards, there's also been a change in how I pay for them, which is to say, I pay more.

The fact is, many of the cards on my list aren't available at any given moment on ebay, at any price.  Something that never occurred to me when my needs far out numbered my haves.  If paying $5.50 instead of $3.50 for a Bob Miller is going to be the difference between waiting a year or two, I'm at the point where I'll pay the extra buck or two.  Often too, there will be four of a card available, with three having "Buy it now" prices in the $20-50 range and one with a $6 price.  The $6 price suddenly doesn't look so bad.

Closing in on completing the 1-310 low series of this set has renewed by my interest and really sparked some excitement.  I've more or less completely stopped working on 1970's sets for the moment and this venture has my undivided collecting attention (beyond Tim Wallach cards).  As such, it also has my entire undivided card budget to work with.  When I sack Willie Mays and that need falls, I should make quick work of the rest.

Stats: 10 seasons, 42 wins, 42 loses, 3.96 ERA

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment