Friday, June 17, 2016

#200 Ralph Houk



#200 Ralph Houk
Progress: 1st of this card
178 of 407 43.7% complete
How acquired: $4.00
Condition: Poor

This is card I've wanted for years, but I had never managed to find at the right price.  Until I had one in hand, it had never occurred to me that Houk would be featured as a player and not a manager (which seems stupid in retrospect).  Given that Houk is a player and not a manager, his inclusion in this set is a little bit odd.  I've never done a break down of players per team in this set, but I'm inclined to think there are probably a disproportionately large number of Yankees, Giants, and Dodgers.  Likely a product of geography and Sy Berger's need to sign players to fill out a set.  Houk is no doubt a beneficiary of this given his sparse playing career numbers. 

Stats: 8 seasons, 91 games, 43 hits, 0 home runs, .272 avg.

Managerial Stats: 19 seasons, 944 wins, 806 losses, 2 World Series ('61, '62), 3 AL Pennants ('61, '62, '63) 

Best Hall of Fame Showing: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment