Thursday, July 24, 2014

#134 Joe Tipton



#134 Joe Tipton
Progress: 1st of this card
127 of 407  
How acquired: $4.25 on ebay
Condition: Good

I overpaid for this card.  But I bought it at a time when I wasn't having any luck and I had some paypal credits to play with.  It's not the worst price I've ever paid for a card, bit it still bugs me.  Forever whatever reason, this card has eluded me for a long time.  It's not at all scarce, at least as far as '52 Topps go, and a copy always seems to be on ebay.  But for whatever reason, I never managed to "win" one, so that may have influenced my decision to bid so "high" on it.

I'm a bit of a sucker for these cards of long defunct teams.  There's a good number of them in the '52 set.  I cringe at the thought of kids today viewing the Montreal Expos the way I view the St. Louis Browns.

Stats: 7 seasons, 264 hits, .236 avg., World Series Ring in '48 w/Cleveland, struck out in only plate appearance in the Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment